News outlets are reporting that if a federal government shutdown occurs, many paychecks will be put on hold. What angers many is that the shutdown would not affect pay for elected officials and the President, but for the “average Joe”. Let’s see, they cannot agree on basic terms, which is part of their job, and American worker’s have to pay the price? How could it be fair that they get paid but the people who put them in office don’t.
Well, Congress has until midnight tomorrow to approve the budget for at least a short period, extend it for a week or a shutdown will occur. It will affect over 800,000 jobs nationwide.
In summary the following would occur in the event they shut down, so let’s hope they check the egos at the door and make some decisions.
- All national parks will be closed
- Government contractor jobs would be put on hold
- Federal hand-mailed tax returns would not be opened
- Troops will stay on duty and receive IOU’s in lieu of paychecks
- Passports would NOT be processed
- National security will need to continue to work, even if they do not get paid
- Electronically filed tax refunds will still be paid, but any mailed in will be on hold
- Medicare would continue payments, but not sure for how long
- ONLY GOOD NEWS…AUDITS WOULD BE PUT ON HOLD!
Update: Emergency meeting tonight at 7PM. Later news reports say, still no deal! When will they come together?
UPDATE 4/8/11 @11PM-SHUTDOWN AVOIDED: http://bit.ly/eW1JZa